Nominee of LA Music Awards
WICKHEAD is a driven, passionate alternative rock band that hails from the beautiful yet volatile city of Johannesburg, South Africa. Against all odds they have risen through a challenging time of violent crime, social change and cultural alienation in an evolving country.
Since February 2000 they have received numerous accolades in their challenging but stimulating segment of the South African Rock market. WICKHEAD’s achievements are listed below *.
WICKHEAD’s energetic and inspiring live show goes hand in hand with their powerful music and positive lyrics. Their own message carries them through all adversity they face on their exciting journey:
“Don’t give in, Don’t ever give it up – If the sky is falling down on your head” – Bright Lights Blvd
“I must carry on, no matter what goes on, and I’ve gotta not get ahead of myself… Gotta live for the moment” – Anthem
After winning two LA Music Awards in 2006 and making the necessary contacts, WICKHEAD decided, in July 2007, to throw caution to the wind and relocate to Los Angeles, California. The greater the risk, the greater the gain and after eight years of experience and challenges, WICKHEAD believes in itself. Fortune Favors the Brave.
The choice paid off… having never worked with a producer before, Rob Hill did wonders producing their debut international release “Burn Like A Star”. He brought cohesion and an experienced edge to their work.
WICKHEAD is extremely proactive and hard working. With a clear vision and dedication they continue to grow as they build a strong fan base and awareness in LA.
• # 1 South African song of 2005 on TUKS FM (Largest College Radio Station) and charted at # 3 on TUKS FM international countdown.
• Nominated for the nationwide “VODACOM4U” award in 2005 for Best Live Performance.
• Appeared on various TV Shows including, NOTED, PITSTOP, GERAAS, KTV, YO TV, WILD ROOM, WORLD OF WINNERS, MORNING LIVE, MELTDOWN, GO!, WE’LL DECIDE, LATE NIGHT WITH DARREN SCOTT, CURIOUS CULTURE.
• Numerous newspaper and magazine reviews and articles in YOU, HEAT, THE STAR, SUNDAY TIMES, NATAL WITNESS, THE MERCURY, BLUNT MAGAZINE, LOCALLY WHIPPED, SL, FHM, SALTWATER GIRL, HUISGENOOT.
• Headlined the Blunt Stage and Main Stage in 2004, 2005 and 2006 at South Africa’s premier music festival, WOODSTOCK.
• Completed three national tours of South Africa and headlined all major music festivals.
• Nominated for “BEST ROCK ALBUM” in 2005 at the South African Music Awards (SA’s Grammy’s) for their debut album “If It Hurts It’s Healing”.
• Toured to the UK in 2006 to perform at the launches of the “Rock Star Lottery”.
• Won “ALBUM OF THE YEAR” in 2006 for “A Crush on Revelation” at the 16th Annual International Los Angeles Music Awards in the category of HARD ROCK.
• Won “SINGLE OF THE YEAR” in 2006 for “Bright Lights Boulevard” at the 16th Annual International Los Angeles Music Awards in the category of HARD ROCK.
• Performed after Evanescence at MyCokefest 2007, other artists on the bill included Hoobastank, Staind. Three Doors Down.
• July 4th 2007 WICKHEAD relocated to Los Angeles California and almost immediately started preproduction for debut international release with Rob Hill (Korn, Queen, Cypress Hill, Everlast, REM)
• September 21st 2007 WICKHEAD played a showcase at the Atlantis Music Conference in Atlanta, Georgia.
• WICKHEAD returned to tour South Africa and headline “WOODSTOCK 9” 2007 (SA’s largest local music festival)